I’m going to get pretty candid here, I miss my college town and being in college…..like a lot. And I didn’t think this feeling would hit me so long after I graduated! I only graduated in May 2018, so less than a year ago, but I thought I would feel more like this sooner after I graduated rather than now. I know I can’t be the only recent grad who feels this way; but I feel as though this doesn’t get talked about that often.
So what is it that we’re really ‘missing’?
Friends. Down-time. Freedom. Community.
Anyone of these or all of these together can make up the reason(s) why I feel like I miss my college town. That feeling of having your best friends all within 5 minutes or even walking distance of you and being able to drop what you’re doing and meet at your fave bar to drink on a Wednesday; that’s the feeling I miss. Or when professors extend a due date of an assignment to the next week because there is a huge football game that weekend that everyone is going to; that feeling of a community I miss.
I don’t want to sound like I’m complaining; I chose to move back to a big city where I knew my friends weren’t. I’ve made good friends back here in Houston and have strengthened my relationships with old friends and I really do love my life here. But no one prepared me for this feeling of nostalgia and almost sadness that life will never be like it was in college. And honestly, it’s probably for the better that college life isn’t forever. I mean, I wouldn’t want to be living off of mac n cheese and $50 for the rest of my life! …don’t get me wrong, mac n cheese is still a huge part of my diet 😉
So what should I do about it?
Unfortunately, I don’t have the magic answer to this question because I’m still trying to figure it out for myself! But I’ve listed a few ways that I’ve been able to get out of the “missing college” funk:
- Go on a vacation | this might sound odd but being able to take vacations because I’m making actual money now always makes me not really miss college as much because I wasn’t really able to do that in college
- Go back to your college town with friends | sounds kind of counter-intuitive but the few times I have been back to my college town since graduating have really helped and more so made me appreciate my time in college rather than miss it so much
- Give in to your nostalgia and just scroll through college pics | it’s okay to miss something and to take 15-20 minutes once in a while to reminisce on those memories!
- Have the tough convo with yourself | you’ve got to face the facts that you are never going back to your college days ever again….it sucks to think about but you have to be real with yourself and honestly just kind of get over it
- MAKE PLANS WITH YOUR COLLEGE FRIENDS | this is my best piece of advice and my fave one; try to always have some sort of plan to meet up with or go on vacation with the college friends that you miss so much! Always having something to look forward to makes it way easier to get through the “funk” times
Again, these are not the magic answers for dealing with missing college…but I’ve found they help me! It’s also important to note though that life is still awesome and you still have some of the best years ahead of you after college!! For me, college was some of the best years of my life so far and I will cherish my time in my college town. But, please don’t be that person that never gets over their college life and all they talk about is their college years and how they wish they could go back. We’ve all seen the movies about how that person ends up missing out on the rest of their life because they were too busy missing college….just don’t be that person!!
If you have any other suggestions for dealing with college nostalgia, leave them in a comment below!