Let’s get real…it’s hard to come home after a long day of work and be productive with other things that we need to get done with our personal lives; whether that be doing the laundry, finally making a return or going to the post office, or even just replying to personal emails. It’s easy to get stuck in a routine of throwing your stuff down when you get home, having dinner and then gluing yourself to your couch and watching tv or binge watching a show the rest of the night. I can’t even judge because I would do this all the time when I got home from work and I started to get frustrated with myself for being ‘lazy’ and letting my personal tasks pile up…so I decided to try and be more productive after work. I make myself do atleast 1 personal task every evening during the workweek and I’ve found I feel better about myself and not as lazy like I used to!
It’s definitely been a trial-and-error type situation, but I think I’ve found some good tips on how to stay productive in your personal life after a long day of work…so here we go!
Tips to stay productive
- Put a reminder on your phone to do atleast 1 task every evening
- Start off making the tasks simpler and things you can accomplish (you have to start somewhere!)
- Put into place a reward system once you’ve completed the task (Ex: I can have dessert once I clean all of the dishes)
- If the task if something to physically do, put the item of interest in a spot that you know will bug you until you do it (my area is my desk, I hate having a cluttered desk!)
Simple ideas to stay productive
- Doing the laundry — seems simple but it always feels so good when you have all clean clothes!
- Going through your personal email account — if you’re like me then you HATE an overcrowded inbox, so set aside 30 minutes to start tackling that full inbox!
- Making a return to a store/running some errands — don’t get me wrong, I love a good errand-running Saturday/Sunday, but sometimes life gets in the way and they just don’t get done. Girl. that return policy is not forever so get your booty going!
- Walking the dog, cleaning out the dishwasher, taking out the trash, and cleaning up — again, these seem like they could happen on the weekends but let’s be honest…who wants to clean the house when you could be day drinking?? A quick 30-45 minutes can do wonders on the cleanliness of your home!
- Work on your hobby — for me, getting myself motivated and actually working on my blog and insta are sometimes tasks that I have to make myself do to stay productive
- Exercise — after a long day, going to the gym or a workout class is usually the last thing I want to do…so if you make it to the gym at any point during the day, I count that as a win in my book!
- Sidenote: if you regularly workout and are looking for more ways to be productive, see above! (also, v impressed that you still have energy to do other things after work and a workout!)
- Hanging out with friends/being social — for all of my fellow introverts, being social and spending time with friends outside of work IS being productive! It also generally takes up most of your evening, so when I do go out during the workweek I usually count that as my ‘productive task’ for the day
With all this being said, I do want to give a little reminder that it’s okay if not every day is productive! Sometimes you just have a shit day and don’t feel like doing anything and that’s totally okay. It takes a while to break your routine of tv binging so give yourself a break every now and then. If you end up using any of these tips to stay productive, let me know!!