Before we jump in, just wanted to throw out a disclaimer that the subject of waxing can get a little TMI for some. So if the title of this post hasn’t already notified you, today we’re talking about Brazilian waxes and my thoughts on my first time! For those who are unaware, a Brazilian wax is when all hair in the bikini area is removed, from front to back, leaving you completely smooth. I go into more detail about my appointment further down, but I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Waxing the City! I genuinely hope this helps anyone with questions or preconceived notions that I myself had too! Sooo….here we go!
THOUGHTS I HAD BEFORE DOING IT
I had the basic thoughts that it would be painful, awkward, there may be some side effects or irritation; and I’ll be honest, I wasn’t completely wrong but I wasn’t right either! To add on top of my own thoughts and self-judgement, I didn’t really know anyone else who had a Brazilian wax to ask questions to or just for some reassurance that it wasn’t something weird to do!!
I decided to finally book an appointment and just go through with it because, what’s the worst that could happen right? (side note: I was v nervous the entire time before I went into the aesthetician’s room!) So when I was looking for a place to book an appointment, I turned to Yelp and the internet to find the best reviews; this is one appointment I didn’t want to let in the hands of a newbie! I scoured the web and found that the best place, and person, in the Sugar Land area was at Waxing the City with Ami!
My appointment went so much smoother (pun intended 😉 ) than I thought it would! Ami was very personable and knew it was my first time so she made me feel comfortable about the whole process of just letting everything hang out for someone to see! She explained everything as she went and answered any questions I had. Now, when it came to any pain, it was a tad painful in very tender areas. I have very little tolerance for pain so me saying that it wasn’t bad, means that probably anyone could handle it with ease! I also did not have any side effects from the waxing either!
AFTER THOUGHTS AND TIPS
So, what did I think overall and would I go back? First things first, I’ve already been back and will continue to keep getting a Brazilian wax; that’s how much I enjoyed the process and the results! Overall, I think that if it’s something you’ve been thinking about doing, go for it! I like the fact that I don’t have to think about shaving that area and for a solid 2 weeks I’m clean and smooth. A Brazilian wax at Waxing the City in the Houston area is $60, but to me it’s worth it, and as I mentioned earlier I have and will continue to keep going back to get it done with Ami!
Some tips for ya girl who’s feeling a little anxious about the process:
- If you’re nervous about the pain, take some ibuprofen or advil about 1 hour before — I did this the first time and I think it helped to relax my muscles
- Make sure you clean yourself before going — at the studio, the aesthetician should provide you with a sanitary wipe, but for my personal self-judgement I made sure I showered the morning of and was clean from front to back!
- For best results, let it grow out for at least 2 weeks before going in, the longer the hair the better the results
- My aesthetician told me and I’ve noticed for myself that the more you consistently wax, the easier the removal process becomes and the finer the hair gets; eventually the hair should stop growing back so much — my second appointment went faster because the hair grew back finer and started to all face the same direction!
- For me, and apparently for most women and not men, the butt was super easy and painless!
- At Waxing the City, they have a sheet for you to fill out about allergies, but if you are super sensitive to certain ingredients, make sure you consult the studio before hand!!
- This isn’t just the nail salon….this is a super intimate and touchy area, so make sure you clearly communicate with your aesthetician what you are wanting or anything you are feeling!
- Your aesthetician should provide you with a list of things to avoid for about 24 hours afterwards but a few common ones are: hot tubs/hot showers, sun exposure to that area, and sex.
- If you’re nervous about irritation afterwards, Waxing the City offers a “post-wax” serum that you can apply to the waxed area to help reduce any inflammation or irritation
- I personally did not have any irritation or inflammation, but Ami told me that having a little irritation or a little redness a few hours after the wax is normal!
Okay wow, that was a long post but I really wanted to get all of my thoughts and tips out there for you girls (and guys!) about Brazilian waxing! I did also want to mention that if you choose to get any kind of service done at any Waxing the City location, they offer 50% off your first time! Feel free to send me a comment with any further questions yall might have!!